Mathematics Teacher, Dover-Sherborn Regional High School
The 2017-2018 school year will be my eighteenth full year of teaching and my fifthteenth as the Mathematics Department Chair at DSHS. Before starting my career in teaching, I spent a year (1999-2000) getting a masters degree in education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and thirteen years before that doing various things in the business/technology world. For my last job prior to teaching, I was a director at a company called Eggrock Partners with responsibility for leading software implementation projects for many clients. Prior to Eggrock, I worked in marketing at Open Market, Inc. (now part of Oracle) - one of the early e-commerce software developers. Before that, I managed a number of financial operations at Allmerica Financial (now The Hanover Insurance Group), and led numerous systems implementations for six years at Andersen Consulting (now Accenture).
Masters Degree in Education from The Harvard Graduate School of Education (1999-2000)
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Economics from St. Lawrence University (1982-1986)
I am a resident of Sherborn and have a wonderful wife (Karen), two sons (Dylan and Alex), a daughter (Persie) and a family dog (Shasta)! Check out some recent pics of my family by clicking here and checking out any of the galleries from this past summer (some older ones are here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here).
Outside of school, my major interests are:
- Playing competitive ultimate frisbee - something I've been doing for more than 30 years in the Boston area. To find out more about this fantastic sport, check out the Boston Ultimate Disc Alliance web site or ask me!
- Cycling - I love to ride both on the roads and on the trails...if you do too, you might see me around town at least a couple of times a week.
- Backpacking - my wife and I have backpacked in many of the continent's national parks, including in Alaska and Canada...as you can see from our pictures, we're getting our kids into it too...they've even hiked at 15,000 feet in Peru and during the summer of 2014, we hiked around Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Europe. This past summer, we hiked the Teton Crest Trail.
- Playing tennis - another sport I've been playing for years, but not so much of late. However, I did coach the boy's tennis team here at DSHS for 10 years, but "retired" from that after the 2013 season.
- I've got lots of favorite music artists, but I'm really a Classic Rock fan at heart. You'll get to here many of my favorite selections throughout the year during class.